Eastern Columbine Wildflower
A perennial flower that grows up to two feet high, The flower has showy red and yellow petals and it's stamens curl upward as it ages. Wildflower varies from deep red to a pinky peach.
You can find this wildflower growing along river banks and woodland areas in Wisconsin.
The wildflowers blooms attract bees, butterflies and hummingbirds.
Eastern Red Columbine Wildflower
Not exactly sure what draws me to the Eastern red columbine wildflower. Is it the curvy lines? The color? Perhaps, because I see them selectively?
• Eastern Columbine
• Canadian or Canada Columbine
• Wild Columbine
Ranunculaceae – Buttercup family
What Is It & Where Can You Find It In Wisconsin?
• A perennial flower that grows up to two feet high.
• Growing along river banks & woodland areas
• Likes partial shade and areas of filtered sun.
• Flower has showy red and yellow petals and it’s stamens curl upward as it ages.
• Tiny, black seeds ripen at various times within the flowers life cycle.
• Collect seed by hand from August to October.
• Gently tap the old flowering head into a paper bag.
• Seeds can be dried in open paper bags for about two weeks.
• Store dry seed in sealed, plastic bags in refrigerator until you are ready to plant them.
• Seeds will stay viable with this method for 3 years.
Tiny black seeds ripen at various times within the flower. They can be collected by hand from August to October by gently tapping the old flowering head.
Seeds can be dried in open paper bags for about two weeks. You should store the dry seed in sealed, plastic bags and keep them in the refrigerator until you are ready to plant them.
Where Can You Find It In Wisconsin?
• Growing along river banks
• Woodland areas
What It Attracts:
Native American Use:
Once the plant went to seed, It has been said that the Native American men would crush the seeds and rub them onto their skin. It was supposed to help attract love.
It is the whole LOVE factor that has me interested. I understand the attraction to the flower.
Please note, all my photos displayed online are watermarked in three places. Some look heavier than others depending on the background.
If you purchase a photo it will not contain this marking.
Eastern ColumbineColumbinePlantWisconsin WildflowerNative PlantRed WildflowerPink WildflowerFloralBotanicalEastern Columbine WildflowerAquilegia canadensisEastern red columbineWild red columbine
From Eastern Columbine